Can You Get Car Insurance with a Suspended License?

how to change car insurance companies
How to Switch Your Car Insurance Company
March 23, 2022
test drive a new car
What to Look for When Test Driving a Car
May 15, 2022
Show all

Can You Get Car Insurance with a Suspended License?

suspended license

Do you need car insurance? The simple answer is, of course, yes. But even though we all know that driving is one of the most important activities a person can engage in, many people out there still don’t have enough car insurance. Perhaps they have a suspended license or have just been let go from a job. Or maybe they don’t feel like taking the time to get their car insurance renewed each year. Whatever the reason, it’s time to get your insurance updated.

What is a suspended license?
A suspended license is when you have a driving privilege that has been revoked or suspended. In some states, a driving under the influence (DUI) conviction can result in a license being suspended. However, many states also allow the trust to remain on your record after reinstating the request. In these instances, you have a “suspended” license.

How to Apply for a Suspended License
The first step in applying for a suspended license is to make an appointment with your state department of motor vehicles. Ensure you let them know the date of your court date and the charges against you. You will also need to provide your current address and contact information for anyone wondering why you haven’t been paying for your car insurance.

Next, you will need to visit a local police station and turn in a written statement outlining the specifics of the traffic stop, including the language in the sand, your name, the make, model, and color of the car, and the time of the holiday. The police report will also need to list the results of your DPS.

Get a New License
You will then need to visit a DPS office and submit a request for a new license. The new permit will be valid for three years and must be registered at the DMV. You will also need to pay a $25 fee.

Get an Ex-Laws Check
If you face a driving under the influence (DUI) charge in a state where you can get a suspended license, you will also need to get an “ex-laws check.” This is a check of your current and prior driving records to ensure no past convictions have popped up since your suspension.

If your driving record shows no history of DUI, then you don’t need to do any more paperwork or pay any fees to get your license back. However, if your driving record does show a past DUI, you will need to fill out a “proprietary form” and bring it to the DPS office along with your current license. If you get a “proprietary form,” it will be easier for the DPS to trace your license back to the date of your DUI.

Get Insurance Online
The last step in the process is to get your car insurance online. Most insurance providers will let you sign up for a free trial period to see if you like the product and if you can continue with the total price coverage without a reduction. At the end of your free trial, most providers will let you know if you want to keep the product and start paying the monthly fee.

Getting your car insurance renewed is integral to maintaining your car insurance coverage. It is also a good idea to get it updated when you get a new license, get a suspended license, or if you change jobs. This will ensure you have the right coverage and be able to drive in violation of the rules.
Not sure how to go about this? Check out our article on how to get car insurance.